Quantcast

Friday, November 19, 2010

Patient of prostatitis due to E.coli not responding to ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin and doxycycline

Questioner: Wong
Question- I have been diagonsed with prostatitis. The offending organism is E.coli. I have been treated with Ciprofloxacin for 7 days and levofloxacin for 6 weeks with no improvement in symptoms. A later culture and sensitivity test showed that the bacteria is resistant to ciprofloxacin. Then I tried doxycycline for a month with no improvement. I asked my doctor to test other prostate-penetrating drugs on the bacteria, but he said he can't dictate what the lab does. I'm thinking about using sparfloxacin, gatifloxacin, or minocycline, but due to the E.coli being resistant to ciprofloxacin and lack of symptomatic response to doxycycline, do you think that the bacterial would be resistant to these drugs as well?


Please give your opinion (with reasoning) in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment

Free Books, powerpoint presentations, teaching tools and resources and drug information